I had originally planned on making my nautical fabric into another Emery dress, but had been holding off not quite sure what I wanted to do with the skirt (certainly not waistline gathers. Nope. Not for me, thanks!) So my lovely cotton fabric that I ordered from a seller in Thailand early in the spring sat languishing in the storage bin. OK. That's a lie. It only went down to the sewing room about two weeks ago. Prior to that it sat on my dresser staring at me begging to be sewn up.
Anyways, I'm going off course here. Let's get back to business. A few weeks ago Kennis of Itch to Stitch released an update to her Marbella* pattern. It's a pattern I've had my eye on for a long time, I love the slightly scooped out boat neckline, but hadn't quite committed to purchasing yet because of the skirt. I'm just not sure I'm a tulip skirt kind of girl. But the update happens to be the addition of a variation for a circle skirt. Yes, please!!! I'm definitely a circle skirt kind of girl no question about it.
|I look impatient here. I wasn't... |
Little Man was telling me how to pose and I was concentrating.
I muslined the bodice because you just never know when it's a new to you pattern but as like almost all of the Itch to Stitch patterns I've sewn to date, it fit great from the get go. The only adjustment I made was to lengthen the bodice by about 3/4", which is pretty much standard for any pattern I sew from any company.
|Oooh! Look at the impeccable lining up of the invisible zip. |
Ok. You can't really see it, but it's there and it lines up
...and it only took me three bloody tries to get it perfect.
The pattern itself sewed up really easily. I did choose to skip the lining step and just lined the yoke instead. I'm a bit lazy that way! LOL It was also a billion degrees outside which meant it was about a billion and two degrees in the house when I was sewing and the thought of extra layers was just too much for me to contemplate at the time.
|Note to self. Be careful where placing hands. I'm not grabbing my own butt. |
I was following instructions to put my hands in my pockets.
Just not fast enough.
Seven year olds are demanding photographers I tell you!
I was going to get fancy with my hem and do some ribbon or contrast fabric binding but in the end decided that I'd keep it simple and just do a narrow three-step hem for it. I did buy some fishing weights to stitch into it, to lessen the "flash my knickers" potential but then promptly forgot about them. I might just stitch them in just above the hemline into the seam allowances on the sides and centre back and see if that does the trick.
I think this dress is going to get a lot of wear this summer. The cotton is soft and a great weight and I love the style and fit of the dress itself. This one is a total win for the wardrobe!!
|See ya later! I'm off to do some more sewing! :)|