Saturday, June 02, 2012

A Collection of Craftiness

I haven't posted much about my knitting or sewing adventures lately. I have been working on a few things here and there over the last few weeks (ahem, I guess I should really say months). I've had some successes, some mediocre results, but thankfully no downright failures in craftiness.

I've started knitting what I call a "distraction" project every month. A smallish item that I can finish in one month. It's motivated me to get projects finished and it keeps my mind busy so as not too dwell on things that are out of my control.

So far I finished my Abalone cardigan, a pair of monkey socks and this month I'm working on a pair of socks of my own design

The Abalone was a bit of a disappointment. I made it a bit too long and didn't do quite enough increases along the edging so it curls a bit. I haven't decided whether or not I'll keep it. I never managed to get a decent picture of it, but I'll share my sort of bad, taken in the mirror self portrait. (taken before blocking)


I love my monkey socks. This is the second time I've knit this pattern. It's so easy and intuitive. They'll have to keep till fall though. It's been far to warm for wool socks!


I'll show you my latest project another day, when there's actually something to show. In between I've also knit a couple of baby shrugs for some of my girlfriends little one - but haven't taken pics yet - and a special blanket square for a communal blanket project I'm part of right now.

The weather has been warming up beautifully so it's that time of year where new pjs are in order for the little menfolk of the house. Both tops are from Fishsticks Designs. Little Toddler Man's is the Charlie Tee and Baby Boy's is the Lap Tee. Little Toddler Man is crazy about anything related to building or construction so he was the happy recipient of a new pair with dumpers and cement mixers on them!


Baby Boy is crazy about monkeys. Could be because my nickname since birth for him has always been "Monkey-Roo" or maybe because he is a little monkey! So he got a pair of stripey sock monkey jammies. ('scuze the peanut butter on the pjs! That's what happens when you photograph something after a toddler who refuses to wears bib has eaten breakfast!)


The warm weather also had this momma wanting a new handbag for the season, so I whipped one up using some fabric in my stash. I love this bag! I even did a zippered welt pocket in the lining! I used the Pleated Bag tutorial from Deliberately Domestic.


I've been really annoyed with my ironing board lately. It's my own fault really. I somehow manage to have minor little disasters like the day I accidentally ironed some fusible web onto the cover. My cover was a mess. Scorched in spots, sticky, and falling apart. So I made a new cover. Isn't it pretty?


One of my favourite projects lately was another gift for a friend. I can't tell you how much I really love using Fishsticks Design's Austen Lee Romper pattern. I think this is the fourth or fifth time I've made it! This time I did a Superman theme for a super little fellow. Took me a few practice attempts, but I was really pleased with how the freezer paper stencil I did for the appliqué patch turned out in the end!


Baby Boy also got a new pair of training pants. He's showing an interest in potty training so I thought I'd better get going on making a set. So far I've made one to add to the two I'd made previously as my failed overnight reusable "pull up" prototypes. They work great as a daytime trainer even if they're a disaster for overnight use! (Told you. The kid is monkey obsessed!)


But what I've really loved sewing lately the most is diapers! First up was a Birdifull Stitches' Fattycakes pocket diaper. I made this one quite early in the spring, but I don't think I ever showed it to you. It's ok, it works, but not my favorite, although Baby Boy appreciates the pirate monkey PUL (my dislike stems probably more from my own sewing issues than pattern issues mind you.)


My latest three I LOVE LOVE LOVE! I started out by using the Whittey Bums pattern as a starting off point, then added some features I like from other diapers, a covered back welt pocket opening like the Bum Genius, leg gussets like Monster Pants (I used a great little tutorial from the Sleeping Baby site for those) and narrower wings to accommodate Baby Boy's rather pudgy thighs.

Did I mention I love these diapers? I'm a bit addicted to what I've morphed the pattern into!




So, that's what I've been up to crafty wise! How about you? Any projects on the go?

Now, you'll have to excuse me. I've been multitasking by cooking while typing this and breakfast is ready to be served! Mmmm mmmm good as Baby Boy would say!

No comments:

Post a Comment