Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Seychelles Top

Well, well, well.  Here I am again with another brand new Itch to Stitch* top pattern that I just tested.  I am a sucker for the patterns Kennis designs, especially since they require very little alterations to fit me (just some length in the bodice) so when the testing call came out for the Seychelles Top I filled out my application pretty much immediately.


Seychelles is a fun v-neck, pull on woven top pattern that has two sleeve options. You can choose either short sleeve with pleats at the shoulder or long sleeve with gathers.  Or be like me and make one of each!  The pattern is suited to so many different fabrics and can give a completely different look depending on what you choose.  Medium weight linens to lighter weight lawns and anything in between really is going to work, I think.


For my first version I decided to make the short sleeved view and bought some cotton shirting fabric at Fabricland in the city. It was on sale so my top cost under $13.00 which seemed a pretty good bargain for a test project. It has a bit of an embroidery detail which I thought was quite pretty, but simple enough to not be too fussy.  When I bought the fabric is was sleek and smooth, but when I popped in the machine to prewash it got a crinkly, puckery texture.  I wasn't quite sure at first and felt a bit disappointed that it wasn't smooth anymore, but I went ahead and cut my project out anyway.  I'm so happy I did!  I love the texture it has now and I think it's actually even better than it was in it's original form.


I really like how comfy the top is.  I often struggle with woven tops being too tight across the back and if I don't do a broad back adjustment I end up feeling like I'm trussed up, barely able to move my arms and needing something akin to the escape skill level of Houdini to get me out of my top.  Let me tell you I have got stuck in many a top in my day.  It's a horrifying feeling when that happens. I was super relieved to find that not only can I get in and out of my top without assistance or the prowess of a magician (thank goodness! No one wants to be trapped in their clothes!!!), but I can also move freely about.   Imagine that.  Full range of movement! LOL

I was so happy with how my short sleeved version came out that I immediately dove head first into my fabric stash to find something I could make a long sleeved version with.  What I came up with was a lightweight, silky feeling polyester that I had bought three or four years ago (intending to make the SOI Anderson blouse that I never got around to making).  Every now and again procrastination pays off. I'm glad I had it saved because it turned out to be the perfect fabric for those gathered sleeves! 



The only problem with my long sleeve top is that it is quite staticky.  How do normal people deal with this?  Am I the only one who walks around with clothes perpetually sticking to me with static? (insert lame "electric personality" jokes here should you wish - I'll leave that to you dear reader because telling jokes is apparently not in my skill set.  Or according to my children anyways, who routinely respond with an "Ohhhh.  Mom." and a groan.  LOL)


Anyway, static not withstanding, I really love my long sleeve version too.  I probably could have lengthened the sleeves just a teeny smidge, but I think they work fine as they are.



I suppose another problem with my tops is what to wear with them.  I think my cotton one is perfect with jeans and will go well with my Lander Shorts, this summer, but not sure what to pair with my long sleeved one.  I don't wear skirts anymore and don't really have anything except jeans to choose from.  I know a lot of the testers were pairing theirs with ITS North Point Trousers, which have definite potential. Or maybe I'll finally get to work on a pair of wide legged jeans like Landers or maybe the  Anna Allen Persephone Pants.  Or more than likely I'll just continue to pair it with my jeans I already have. 

So there you go!  That's the low down on the latest pattern from Itch to Stitch!  If you're wanting your own copy of the pattern, it is on sale as per usual for the release week over on the ITS site.












6 comments:

  1. That is a great looking top. It's hard to find any 'simple' patterns for woven tops. I've been debating buying it since I found the email announcement this morning but I think I'll pull do it now that I've seen yours.
    Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say it looks great on you. The way I wrote it makes it sound like spam. Eeesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not spam-ish at all! Thank you so much and I'm so happy to hear that my little "review" here was helpful to you! :) I hope you enjoy the pattern as much as I do if/when you sew it up!

      Delete
  3. A can of Static Gurad may help you... usually in the laundry aisle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some in my linen cupboard!! I didn't even think of it. LOL! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. Your tops look great. I sewed the long sleeved version first and it's lovely. I sewed the short sleeved version next and had trouble with the pleats ..... followed instructions exactly but the sleeve head was too big for the sleeve. After some adjusting, it fitted together. It's a comfortable pattern.

    ReplyDelete