Saturday, April 02, 2022

Sew Frugal 22

Hello, hello!

I'm back on this first Saturday in April to talk about my #sewfrugal22 challenge project that I did during the month of March.  The idea behind the challenge, hosted by Frugalisama and The Sew Yorkshire Girl was that we were to use a free pattern and fabric from our stash to make something during the month of March.

I have a lot of fabric in my stash and there are certainly plenty of patterns that are free available on the internet, so I thought it would be a fun challenge. 

For my project I finally jumped on the #M7969 bandwagon. Well sort of anyways…

I apparently live under a rock and this pattern was not even remotely on my radar until it was offered up as a freebie for signing up to the Minerva newsletter. Then suddenly it was everywhere and I realized it had been for quite some time. As I said. I must live under a rock.


I figured I had THE perfect fabric in my stash for it and I was pretty sure I could squeak it out if I chose the less billowy sleeve. I bought my navy blue floral challis probably three summers ago and have been wanting to make a floaty dress with it for the longest time. So it definitely fit the parameters of the Sew Frugal challenge.  It also fit the challenge going on over on the Minerva site for #SewnWithMcCalls.  Decisions made, it was time to get sewing!

I definitely struggled with choosing a size - there is zero indication on the pattern sizing chart whether it is finished measurements or body measurements - but after reading a lot of reviews online and perusing the #M7969 hashtag on Instagram, I decided to size down from what the pattern  seemed to be suggesting.

I will say it is one heck of a lot of pages to print out (maybe 50?  I can't remember offhand) and taping it together was not my favourite thing.  In fact I really, really disliked it.  I'm not sure what exactly had me so annoyed, it just didn't feel like it was as easy to line up and tape together like some of the other indie companies I have become used to using.  I also haven't used a Big Four pattern in probably close to a decade now for myself, so I'm not used to the style of pattern instructions anymore.  

Once I got it all taped together, all was going swimmingly, or so I thought. Everything got cut out and I had started to sew up my bodice (altered slightly to raise the neckline). Then I went to start the sleeves. That’s when it all went south. I was giving my sleeve pieces a quick press before starting on my next construction step when I noticed it... There was a flaw in my fabric and no way to hide it.  Then I noticed it ran along the bottom of the sleeve too.  They were not holes really, but very obvious almost holes.  Then I looked at the other sleeve and it was worse. It had a swooping line of these frayed almost hole bits marching across the entire sleeve. (not sure if you can see them where I've circled on the photo below, but they were there and they were obnoxiously noticeable.) There was absolutely no working around it. I am sure it was not like that when I got it. Surely I would have noticed when I pre washed and ironed my fabric. The only thing I can think is that maybe the cat got at it?  I was so disappointed.  I had hoped I could order more fabric from Minerva, but alas it's no longer available.  (Not surprising given how much time has passed since I bought it)

sleeve pieces showing flawed floral fabric

So I had to regroup.  Dreams of a floaty, billowy dress dashed,  I would selvage it by making a top instead. I used one skirt piece and cut new sleeves from it. Then I cut the other skirt piece in half for a front and back peplum.

Back to the sewing machine and back on track… or so I thought. Nothing left to do but the hem, I tried it on and found that much to my horror it looked exactly like a maternity top. Eeek!!!!

Back to the drawing board. AGAIN. I skipped the cuff I was going to use and ran elastic through the sleeve hem instead to keep them from hitting an awkward spot on my arm. Then I took the skirt off, cut it down to be a straight peplum like my Helen’s Closet March top that I love so much and decided to call it a day.

Navy floral top shown loosely tucked in, with cropped Lander jeans and clogs

I’m not overly thrilled with it (mostly because it’s in my bad books for not being the dress I envisioned) but I think I will wear it. When I tried it on with my  my cropped Lander jeans and clogs I liked it quite a bit more so maybe not all is lost. Now I just need winter to go away and for me to forgive my top for not behaving. Lol!

Top shown untucked

I will definitely scope out my stash fabric to see if I can make a dress yet.  I also saw a hack for making a blouse without the wrap that seemed like a great idea too, so I want to try that as well!  

Top shown fully tucked in to cropped Lander jeans

Before I do that though, I have some more pressing matters (or projects if you will) at hand.  I absolutely need to make my dress for G's wedding at the end of the month as well as my dress for N's wedding in May.  Plus I want to get my latest Minerva Ambassador project wrapped up and start on the next one AND if there's any time left after that, I want to make a Friday Pattern Company Sagebrush for the #sewaprilblouse22 challenge being hosted by Sew Dahlia Society and Cloth Edit.  I guess if I'm going to get any of those things accomplished I'd better get off the Internet and get down to the sewing room... 


No comments:

Post a Comment