Monday, March 20, 2023

The Zakopane Top

I know that I said I shouldn't pattern test when school is in session.  But things being what they are, I have a knack for not taking my own advice and no sooner had I said that I pretty much signed up to do another pattern test.  In my defence, I had the fabric at hand and it promised to be a super quick sew and I was able to do the proof-reading of the pattern instructions on my lunch break so it wasn't too onerous of a task.

Let me introduce you to the latest Itch to Stitch* pattern!  It's a fun little top with a twist.  Literally.  It features a twist at the neckline.  It's no harder to make than a standard tee shirt, so you can decide you want a new top in the morning and be wearing it by afternoon.  Really!  It's that easy!

Sarah stands on an angle towards the camera, she is wearing a turquoise, short sleeved Itch to Stitch Zakopane Top and ready to wear jeans

For your Zakopane Top, you can choose from long sleeves or short sleeves and it has the pattern pieces for either a full or regular bust so the guess work is taken out of it for you right from the start!

Now, one thing to let you know about, it does have lower neckline, so I have an easy styling recommendation for you if you prefer a bit more of a modest neckline.  You can easily make a Cartagena Cami (also a super quick sew!) to wear underneath and it looks quite good like that!  Several of the testing team did just that if they felt the neckline was a bit lower than they wanted.  You can't easily adjust that neckline because of the way the twist is constructed, so a cami is such an easy and cute work around.

Sarah stands smiling at the camera with her hands in her pockets of her ready to wear black trousers.  She is wearing a Turquoise short-sleeved Zakopane Top from Itch to Stitch

So let me tell you about the two I made!  I'm feeling quite pleased with myself because both of mine were made from fabrics that I had in my stash that I had absolutely no idea what to use for.  The first one, the turquoisey print is a mystery jersey - it's definitely a polyester, and feels almost brushed, but not quite as soft as a double brushed poly.  I bought it pre-pandemic at Marshall's Northwest Fabrics in the city and I'm pretty sure it was on their clearance wall, so I may have paid $5.00 or less for it!  I have no idea what I had in mind for it when I bought it, but I sure was happy to remember it was in my stash when this testing call came around.

Sarah stands on an angle towards the camera, she is smiling with her hands folded in front of her.  She is wearing a short sleeved Itch to Stitch Zakopane Top in a black tropical print that has red hibiscus flowers and gold leaves.

My second version is made with an ITY poly that I bought at Fabricland last summer.  Again, no idea what I was planning for it.  Maybe a Soller Dress?  I think I bought it around the same time I made my t-shirt version last summer.  Anyways, it was absolutely perfect for the Zakopane, so I'm glad I didn't use it sooner!  I love the tropical feel of the hibiscus flowers!  

Sarah stands towards the camera, smiling, with her hands in the pockets of her black trousers. She is wearing a short sleeved Itch to Stitch Zakopane Top in a black tropical print that has red hibiscus flowers and green and gold leaves

I've been trying my hardest to manifest spring here on the prairies - between my two summery Zakopane's and I just made a super summery viscose challis jumpsuit.  I keep hoping if I make spring/summer attire, Mother Nature will take the hint and finish up with winter.  March came in like a lion and it was still roaring all last week.  Here's hoping for sunny, warm skies ahead!

Anyways, I digress.  If you're wanting to make your own version of Zakopane you can purchase it over at the Itch to Stitch site (it's got a discount for the release week of course!)






No comments:

Post a Comment