Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am a silly and fickle girl!

Last week I posted that I was relegating my Purple Breeze socks to the hibernating category. I had ignored them so long I wanted to free myself from the guilt of it all. But, that was last week...

I did really well, focusing solely on the Cambridge Jacket for (BF)G - getting lots done on it. All that's left is the rest of the sleeves and the coller and of course sewing in a zipper, that although I am a trained seamstress, makes my blood run cold. Don't know why that is. Sewing zippers in stresses me out no matter what kind they are, but separating zippers on a hand knit frighten me even more. I know. I am a freak. What can I say.

Speaking of sleeves, because I like to cause myself major hassles and headaches, or, as I prefer to call it, give myself a challenge, I decided to do both sleeves at the same time. Now that's not too crazy, right? Where's the challenge in that you ask. Well, gather 'round and I tell you why it is messing with my poor brain. You see, I am already challenged by trying to remember which sleeve I've just finished working on and keeping them both even. I ended up giving up on the process a few months back on my Gathered Pullover because of the ridiculousness of it all. I would silently congratulate myself for the fact all my increases would be at the exact same point on both sleeves when I realized that one sleeve was now two inches longer than the other. Sometimes I am clueless!

Not wanting to fall prey to that particular headache this time, I devised a system of stitch markers that cannot possibly lead me astray. (So far so good). This project's challenge is actually born of the fact that I thought it a wise idea to use one ball of yarn. Take one end from the outside for one sleeve and one from the inside for the other. That way I'd be carting around less bulk, and wouldn't end up with multiple half used balls of yarn in the end. Oh yes, I could rationalize it every which way 'till Sunday.

So far in practice it's not been too taxing really except for the fact that I keep managing to tangle the strands to the point of no knitting, then have to spend precious knitting time untangling the mess I've just created. But I am determined to show this particular ball of yarn who's boss in this relationship. I will win. It may kill me. But I will do it.

Oh, but I digress. I started to tell you about the Purple Breeze. The supposedly hibernating Purple Breeze. Once I acknowledged the blasted things as actually hibernating, I could not stop thinking about them. It could also be that I'm using Maizy yarn, which is made from corn and I drive past about 45 minutes worth of corn fields on my way to and from work each day. The corn fields actually were taunting me I think - that or it's possible that I am truly losing my mind. Not sure which. Anyways, suffice it to say, the other night Purple Breeze came off the hibernating list and back into the WIP list. They're coming along swimmingly. (and no tangled yarn, so that's always a bonus!)

Now I just have to decide which project to focus on tonight when I host my very own "knitting night party for one" in which I plan to park myself on the couch after supper, pop in a movie (still no TV in the house. grrrr.) and knit to my heart's content. Hopefully I can make it past 9pm this week!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah the tangle factor of two sleeves at the same time is a pain. But sometimes worth it. Sometimes!

    ReplyDelete