Monday, February 20, 2023

Coimbra Wrap Top

Well hello there!  Can you believe I'm back again so soon?  LOL!

I thought I would jump in and do a quick little post about a new pattern from Itch to Stitch*.   I have made a bit of an unwritten rule for myself that when school is in session I usually don't sign up for pattern tests because I feel I can't really dedicate the time and energy to the testing process and usually end up feeling frazzled and rushed and like I'm not putting in my best effort.  Kennis has had some really great pattern releases since I tested the Brampton Shorts last summer, but I have dutifully sat out each time until this one.  

I figured I could handle a fairly straight forward pattern and I had a couple of fabric choices in my stash.  I did end up taking almost the entire test period to complete my project because there were plenty of evenings that I was either busy or just didn't have the wherewithal to sit down at my sewing machine (reminding me of exactly why I have that little rule for myself!).

Sarah is facing the camera but looking down at the waist tie of her grey sweater knit Coimbra Wrap Top

The hardest part about the Coimbra Wrap Top for me was lengthening the crossover - I needed to add my standard 1 1/2" in length to the upper (from shoulder to waist) bodice that I do for pretty much every Itch to Stitch pattern.  It's not really hard to do in all reality - I just tend to stress and overthink it each and every time I have to do it and that's what makes it challenging for me.


Sarah is standing angled towards the camera wearing her grey sweater knit Coimbra Wrap Top

The rest of the process was absolutely a breeze.  The way the hem and facings are finished is really slick - and is the easiest way I have ever seen mitred corners done.  I know you can't tell from the outside, but I know they are there and it makes me happy.  I do so love a good mitred corner for a clean finish on the inside.

So let me tell you a wee bit about the Coimbra pattern.  It is, as I've mentioned a wrap top - not a faux wrap - with the option of a collar or just a simple faced neckline.   It features bust darts for a nice fit (and offers full or regular bust pattern pieces - no full bust adjustments necessary!).  Sizing is available from 00-40 - to fit busts from 30"/76 cm to 62 1/2"/158.5 cm and hips from 32 5/8"/82.5cm t0 64 1/4"/163cm.  Coimbra is designed for medium weight knit fabrics with 50% horizontal stretch and good recovery.

Sarah stands facing forward and smiling at the camera with her hands folded together in front.  She is wearing her grey sweater knit Coimbra Wrap Top

I chose to make mine in a super soft sweater knit.  I've no idea what the fabric content is because it was one of those "mystery" knits that was on sale at my local Fabricland a few months ago.  I think I paid about $4.00/metre for it.  It feels like it might be a bit prone to pilling, but it sewed up nicely and feels lovely so hopefully it'll last!


Sarah is standing sideways from the camera but looking towards the camera with her hand on her hip and she is laughing.  She is wearing her grey sweater knit Coimbra Wrap Top


The Coimbra Wrap Top  is available over on the Itch to Stitch site and is on sale for the release week if you'd like to grab your own copy of the pattern.





  




No comments:

Post a Comment