Friday, November 13, 2020

Sew Beautiful : Fortuna Joggers

Well, its another day and another pattern being featured from the upcoming Sew Beautiful book by Kennis Wong of Itch to Stitch*. 

Sew Beautiful cover photo

Today's pattern is the Fortuna Joggers and Shorts.  Back when we were initially testing the patterns for Kennis, I sewed up the shorts version.  I made them in a heavier ponte and wasn't sure how I really felt about them at the time because of my fabric choice, but come summer I wore them quite often.  They never got photographed and probably won't because they were my favourite shorts for gardening in this summer and as a result aren't in the best condition anymore.

Anyway, Wednesday turned out to be quite cool.  The unseasonably warm spell was quite obviously gone and I was so chilly all day.  So that afternoon I grabbed some french terry I had in my stash, my Fortuna pattern and my scissors and got to work.

Full length view of the Fortuna Joggers

This pattern, like all the patterns in the book, goes together quickly.  There's a few special details, such as the finishing of the pocket edges with a woven fabric that take them up in interest and skill level from a basic elastic waist jogger, but they're certainly not an overly involved project.  They are pants though, so of course I had to do some fine tuning in the fitting, but they're joggers, so it wasn't too bad.  Just the basic swayback adjustment of taking a wedge of out center back, scooping out the back crotch curve to eliminate some under the butt weirdness, and taking in the thighs a smidge. Nothing too labour intensive or crazy at all and I didn't let myself get dragged into the rabbit hole of overfitting. So in fact by the time I went to bed that night I had a new pair of joggers to my name. 

I did leave off a few details - I didn't put in a drawstring (Kind of regretting that now - the drawstring would have been a nice touch) and I didn't do back pockets because I simply didn't have enough fabric.  I'll let you in on a wee secret - even my front pockets are pieced together on the inside from smaller scraps, I was that short on fabric.  Try as I might there was no layout in the land that was going to result in enough fabric for all the pattern pieces, so something had to go and the back pockets were the only logical thing that could.   I suppose I could have skipped the cuffs at the ankles and used that fabric for the pockets, but I really, really wanted cuffs. Also I really only had enough length for the pattern pieces as drafted so without cuffs my joggers would have been too short, so to me it was a no brainer and no back pockets.


Fortuna Joggers seated view

These joggers are so comfy and cozy.  Not going to lie... the minute I got in the door from work last night I changed into my Fortunas and I'm pretty sure that's going to become a fairly standard routine for me this winter.  Now I understand why joggers are so popular. 

I paired them with my Carlsbad Cardi that I told you about yesterday, one of my Isidro tops and my favourite Manitobah Mukluks moccasins because did I mention the comfy and cozy factor???  

Sew Beautiful Carlsbad Cardigan and Fortuna Joggers

I hope you've enjoyed my glimpses into Sew Beautiful!  If you're wanting to pre-order it, I've provided all the links below for you.  And if you missed my other projects from the book you can find the Taktsang Dolman Wrap here and the Carlsbad Cardigan here.

Here are all the links to pre-order:

1 comment:

  1. Jogger pants for girls are comfy and comfortable to wear. Find active joggers with knit fabric at Anthrilo. Select between straight, tapered legs and cuffed Jogger pants that are suitable for both boys or girls. You can find jogger pants in black and red or athletic grey that are sized for toddlers to large kids. There are the option of plus or husky sizes to ensure that every child has perfect fitting jogger pants.
    Joggers pants for girls

    ReplyDelete