Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Sew Beautiful : Taktsang Dolman Wrap

 You all know how I love Kennis Wong, the designer behind Itch to Stitch's, patterns right? Did you hear the exciting news??  She's got a brand new book about to be released!  Sew Beautiful is available for pre-order right now (release date is December 8th!!).  You can click this link to order it in Canada, but it's available all over the US, Europe and beyond! It would make the perfect Christmas gift for the sewist in your life (ie: ME!!! Just in case my hubby is reading this...)  Sew Beautiful features eight easy to sew patterns in sizes 00-20 and most designs have more than one variation.  

Sew Beautiful Cover Photo

I've felt really honoured to be able to test several of the designs over the last year (although it's been so hard to keep them secret because I really love them!).  I'm always so impressed with the Itch to Stitch designs and the attention to detail that Kennis puts into them.  

Today I want to show you my version of the Taktsang Dolman Wrap.  This pattern is so versatile! You can sew it in a woven or stable knit.  Choose a heavier weight fabric for a snuggly warm outwear piece or a lighter weight fabric for a great alternative to a cardi, or an even lighter weight fabric for an alternative to a blouse.  I chose to go super floaty and lightweight and use some silky polyester I've had in my stash for approximately forever.  


The pattern is super simple to sew - front and back bodice pieces, facings and a tie and belt loops.  That's it, that's all.  I cut mine out one evening before bed and sewed it up in a couple of hours the next afternoon.  It's an almost instant gratification type project.

Taktsang Dolman Wrap seated view

Mine doesn't have belt loops because, well... I forgot to cut them out and I tossed all my little scraps I had left.  Because I was using fabric from deep within the stash bins, there's no way I can get more, so I had to leave them out.  I'm thinking about doing some sort of thread chain belt loop using embroidery thread maybe just to wrangle that tie a bit better, but really it was fine without them.  I was just annoyed with myself.  I NEVER throw out scraps until I'm finished a project and even then I'm such a packrat that I normally keep anything larger than microscopic.  I've no idea what possessed me to suddenly be all minimalist in my fabric hoarding.  

Taktsang Dolman Wrap

I like wearing it closed over a cami (The Itch to Stitch Cartagena Cami* makes a perfect choice!). As I mentioned earlier it makes a great alternative to a blouse!  But I also love to wear robe style tops as a fancier alternative to cardigans so I wondered if the Taktsang Wrap would work that way too, and it turns out I really like it open as well!




So congratulations to Kennis and Itch to Stitch Designs for getting her first book published!  It's such an exciting accomplishment and I know it will be well received by beginner and advanced sewists alike!





No comments:

Post a Comment