For a brief bit of time I thought this was going to be an incredibly short post stating, "It didn't happen." However, at the end of the week I was able to get a bit more sewing time in and finish up at least one project in the nick of time.
I'm a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to get all three done that I'd planned, but you know what? I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I was still having quite a bit of discomfort from my back and hip and was trying to get caught up on all the things I couldn't get done the week that I couldn't do anything at all. Also, the one item I did get done, was a complete winner. I absolutely ADORE it! So that is an extra big bonus in my books!
Onto my finished item. It was, of course, project number one, the Susie Blouse. It was my first ever time sewing a Sew Over It pattern and I was really impressed. I did muslin it first and I'm really glad I did as I definitely needed to tweak the pattern to fit properly. I actually did two muslins, which of course also cut into my planned schedule, but I'd much rather take the time to do the leg work at the beginning and finish with a garment I love rather than forge ahead and have a dud sitting in my closet unworn. Now that I have the size down pat I can definitely see making more Susie Blouses in the future!
I ended up sizing up from my original muslin to accommodate my broad shoulders then doing a sloped shoulder adjustment, and tapering down a size for the waist and hips. I think in retrospect I could have lengthened the blouse a touch as well for my personal preference, but it'll do alright as is for both tucked in and untucked. I also could have shaved off a smidge more in the hips, but again. It'll do. The only other adjustment I made was to adjust the sleeve cap slightly. My sloped shoulder adjustment brought the previously drooping armscye up pretty much the perfect amount, but then the sleeve cap was a bit uncomfortable so a quick shave off to make a gentler curve and it was perfect.
The fabric was a great bargain and I've enough left over that I'll likely either make a Tortola Tank or a Sorbetto with the remainder. It's a polyester with a silky feel and great drape, but was lovely to sew with, not slippery at all. It's showing up on the photos as shiny, but it's actually a matte. It rained all weekend though so we had to use the flash when taking the photos and maybe that's what accounts for the shine? I've no idea.
I did finish all the seam allowances with my serger though as I discovered much to my horror how much it wants to fray when I trimmed the seam allowance a wee bit too close on the collar and ended up with it fraying apart at the seam. EEEK. Thank goodness for extra fabric! I cut and new collar and was far more cautious after that. Also, as you can see in the photos, static cling. OH MY WORD!!!! Unbelievable amounts of static in this fabric. Must find a remedy for that!!
I did manage to also start sewing my Wedgwood skirt but didn't get it finished. I'm now in limbo on it's construction waiting for my Ebay lace zipper order to arrive. I'll finish it up quickly enough once the zips arrive (providing I get a dark blue in my "random assortment pack") since I've decided I don't really want to use the red one I have in my stash currently.
Next on the agenda will be participating in Me Made May! I just realized that's coming up in a hurry so headed over to So Zoe to throw my hat (or pledge as the case may be) in the ring today.