Well, I finally got to it just before the Easter weekend. Now I should do something with the batman, hockey, wildlife, etc lengths of fabric I've bought for them over the last two years too... When I mentally take stock of all that fabric I've bought with all the best intentions I realize how really bad I am at this "stick-to-it-ive-ness" thing when it comes to plans. LOL
Baby steps. We'll go with that. One fabric at a time... So starting with the dino fabric, which is the same great quality as all the fabrics I've bought from Blended Threads, I decided to make the New Horizons* Summit Peak Hoodie. The Blended Threads Facebook group had recently done a Summit sew along and I was feeling pretty inspired by all the great hoodies I had seen during it.
Having not made any kids patterns from New Horizons before, I thought it would make sense to make the 12 and try it on both boys first and see how the sizing looked before making the second one, figuring it would be easy to go up a size or down a size depending on which kiddo that the first one didn't fit. In the end it fit both of them pretty well, so the first one became Baby Boy's and while it's a touch long on him, it actually fits really well. I also made a size 12 for Little Man, but added length to it, because although he's slender, he's long and lanky, gets taller by the minute and if it fits him around, it's almost guaranteed to be short on him in no time at all.
I had two metres of the dino fabric and then a yard of the charcoal grey from The Fabric Snob and a yard of the khaki green from Midnight Mountain Fabrics. Both are a cotton/lycra blend and both are the same nice quality as the cotton/lycra dinos.
I had initially planned on doing both the hoodies with the green, but then decided to go with the grey partly because I was worried I'd be cutting it close with the amount of fabric (I think I figured I'd be short by about half a waistband if I remember correctly) and having a slight difference would save a whole lot of "HE'S WEARING MY HOODIE" type arguments.
I love how the hoodies turned out. More importantly the boys love them! Being cotton/lycra they've been perfect for the on again off again spring weather we've been having too! They were really quick to sew (always a bonus!). The instructions were really straight forward - I did do a bit of head scratching at first over the pocket, but then watched a quick YouTube video on how to sew it, and after I watched it of course the instructions seemed perfectly clear and I have no idea why I was confused in the first place. I think it was a case of over thinking things too much. I put eyelets in the hoods for a draw string, but haven't managed to actually thread one through yet. I should really do that one of these days. (I was just planning to cut a strip of the solid CL and yet somehow as simple a task as that is, I haven't quite got around to it... )
I do have all three of the Summit Peak Hoodie patterns so want to make the adult sized versions too. I want a pullover hoodie for myself and have quite a nice stash of floral french terry I could use (my french terry Halifax hoodie, that I'm pretty sure I never blogged about, is one of my most worn tops - in fact I'm wearing it today as I type this - so I'd love another design in french terry!). For my husband, I think I'll do the zip up version and need to order a suitable cotton lycra or french terry for his.
First things first though. I'm in the middle of a pants sewing endeavour right now and must focus on that before I dive headlong into any new projects. Someone get the mental blinders on me quickly so I don't get distracted by all the other ideas floating around my head...