The other day I as I sat pairing fabrics and patterns in my head I thought it might be better if I actually wrote them down on a list so they wouldn't get lost in my mental filing cabinet.
Of course I'm being unrealistic in my goals here, because goodness knows that a) I rarely sit down to my sewing machine anymore and b) I still have knitting goal lists floating about that I wrote out about ten years ago and never did a single project of because if nothing else I am fickle. Today's MUST DO project is not necessarily going to still be next week's MUST DO project.
I noticed a few things about this list besides my delusions of productivity. I have a heck of a lot fabric. I should not be buying more. And yet... well. Don't judge. There are much worse vices I could have. The next thing I noticed was that out of 18 projects, ten of them involve Sew Over It patterns (actually there's an 11th needs to be added to the list. I realized just now that I have the perfect fabric for the newly released Eve dress... Eve wasn't out when I wrote the list and I had totally forgotten about the fabric that I have in mind for it. I definitely need to get my hands on that pattern!)
In light of the patterns, I thought maybe I should just go ahead and declare 2017 a #sewoveritsummer because my wardrobe is going to be overwhelmingly designed by Sew Over It.
Would you believe that I already have one of my makes done? Last week I picked up some rayon voile at the fabric store and thought it would be perfect for Susie although the details of the collar do get a little lost in the print. My two Susie blouses I made last year were so well loved, but the fit needed a bit of tweaking so I knew I had to tackle that before I did anything. I was pretty sure that I needed to do a broad back adjustment because while my blouses from last year are fine when I'm wearing them and not moving my arms, the minute I move my arms it feels tight across the upper back, and getting out of them just about requires the jaws of life to extricate me. In my search for information I came across a video that made the adjustment really easy to do. I extended the back sleeve a bit too to match up with the side seam and it was exactly what I needed. I did a half inch adjustment on either side, which was a touch on the generous side, but at least I know what I need to do now and my blouse is totally wearable and very comfortable. I also gently curved the hemline for a shirt tail hem rather than more straight across feeling that is a more flattering look. (although I realize that I neglected to get any photos of the bottom of the top so you'll just have to imagine it!)
The rayon voile is super comfortable to wear, but was a bit of a beast to cut out and sew. It was so darn slippery and wanted to slide away at every turn, but I managed to get it on grain with a bit of patience and determination (and more than just a bit of flouncing and bad words).
I was really excited to have a new spring top just in time for some sunshine and warm weather yesterday!
I also finished a Betty dress yesterday, it's been mostly done since Easter weekend, but still needed hemming. I got put off a bit when it got really cold last weekend and then decided to be full fledged winter, complete with snow again for a few days. But the sunshine inspired me yesterday and my machine was already threaded with blue from my blouse so I did a quick machine hem on the Betty before turning the machine off for the day. I'll try and get pictures soon of it!