Wednesday, March 03, 2021

Gothenburg Top

I'm back again with another test subject!  


It's probably absolutely no surprise that my latest pattern test is for Itch to Stitch* given it's no secret how much I love Kennis Wong's designing and pattern drafting.  Her sizing is always so consistent and I know exactly what size to make every time with no surprises.  For tops and dresses the only change I ever have to make is to add length in the bodice. (Pants are another story and are my nemesis no matter what brand of pattern I use and always require various adjustments that I never feel I've quite figured out. But that's another story for another day)

The newest ITS pattern is the Gothenburg Top.  It's in the new size range of 00-40 A-DD and is a long sleeved funnel neck top with a gently dipping hem in the back that requires a structured knit to keep the neckline from collapsing.  Ponte, sweat shirting and scuba are perfect choices.  You'll want to leave your drapier bamboo blends and light weight french terries for another project probably.


It's a super simple sew with only three pattern pieces! (Less paper to print and tape! WHOOOT).  I made mine out of a 1.5 meter cut of mystery fabric that I can't figure out what it is.  It has the weight and hand of a ponte de roma, but has the look of a double sided jersey (floral on one side, solid black on the other).  Who knows what it actually is.  What I do know is it is soft and cozy and I'm all about purple lately, so I love it.  It's also been in my stash for a few years waiting to be sewn up into something.


I think my fabric may have been a bit too "soft" as I feel like my neckline is collapsing in on itself a bit. It also has a bit of a sheen to it it that makes it slippery, which thankfully was tamed by some quick hand stitching on the inside. I'm not used to the funnel neck (I don't think I've ever owned one before!) so find I do fidget with it a bit, but I think I need to just get used to the look and feel of a funnel neck and also next time, I'll be a little more careful about my fabric choice.  Kennis gave us a tip in choosing fabric that I thought was ingenious, and that was to fold the fabric in half vertically and hold it up.  If it collapses it's too drapey.  If it doesn't you've got a winner for having a great structured funnel neck!  I'm going to be on the lookout for something more structured than this one to give it a try!

You can get the pattern over at the ITS site and it's on sale for the release week!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment