Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The Glenelly Top

Hello dear readers!  I'm back again with a quick little post about my newest sewing project.  I'm sure it will come as absolutely no surprise at this point when I tell you that it is, of course, also the newest pattern to be released by Itch to Stitch.  Once again I got in on the ground floor so to speak with this one, and was a pattern tester for it.

I love wearing tee shirts but tend to stick with a few tried and true patterns that consist of either raglan or set in sleeves and either a plain round or scooped neckline or if I'm feeling particularly adventurous, a v-neck.  But you know what they say.  Variety is the spice of life.  And Glenelly definitely provides that!


I was really drawn to the open neckline of the Glenelly top with it's angled front corners and wide sweeping cut. It takes the idea of a plain tee and dials it up a notch in interest both in design and the sewing of it.  Of course, like a lot of ITS patterns, it looks more complicated than it really is.  Kennis is always very thorough in her instructions and walks you through those corners step by step.  

Once you've got the corners down pat, the rest is easy peasy and goes together like any other t-shirt neckline really!  And the rest of the shirt?  Well, there is absolutely nothing complicated about it at all!  Raglan sleeves, side seams, hems.  That's it, that's all.   Did I mention that the neckline really only looks complicated?  If you take it nice and easy and follow the steps it shouldn't cause any aggravation and I think it's well worth the effort!


I was quite pleased with the fit of this top -  I always say I have line backer shoulders so I found it really suited to my shape as is.  But don't worry!  If you've got narrower shoulders, Kennis has a modification you can do to bring the neckline in as necessary.  Just check out her handy post that's linked from the instructions!

My top is sewn out of the famous Fabric Snob "boyfriend knit" (Sorry I can't remember the colourway - maybe it was Joseph?  Not sure! I don't actually see it on their website right now).  For size reference, I sewed an 18 (full bust) and sized down to the 16 at the hips.  Only alteration needed was my standard 1 1/2" length.

I planned all week to get a dress version done as well to show you, but here we are, release day and I've not even dug out my fabric that I want to use, so I guess that's not going to be happening just yet.  What can I say?  It's nearing the end of June.  There's seven more school days left to go in what feels like a year that's lasted approximately eleventy million months.  I'm just plain old worn out.  (Pretty sure everyone is at this point.  Not just me!)  The end is in site though.  I did my last library classes yesterday and started the year end inventory.  And in a little more than a week I will be on summer break.   And one of the first things I plan on doing is sewing up a Glenelly dress! (I also have another Recoleta planned for those first few days of summer break too!)

Anyways, I hope you'll check out the Glenelly pattern and give it a go.  If I get that dress made next week as planned, I'll pop up an update here to show you how it turned out as well! (although don't hold me to it... I may well be sitting on the deck just staring off into space for a bit. LOL)






2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely color on you. Good to know about neck modification as I initially thought it would be much too wide for my shoulders. Karen

    ReplyDelete