Wednesday, July 20, 2022

It's Been Awhile...

How has it been three months since I last posted here?  I didn't even realize it had been that long.  I've had so much going on!  It was a busy spring for sure - two of my kids got married within three weeks of each other,  I ended up with Covid in between the weddings and then some sort of stomach thing that lasted a whole miserable two months and then the end of school madness.   I will say that this year was probably the hardest and most stressful of my career to date.  I'm not sure why - it felt like it should have been easier than the two years previous, but whatever the case I'm so thankful it's done and hopefully next fall is a lot better!

But here I am.  Feeling so much better and we're into week three of summer break, so I'm caught up on much needed rest and feeling more relaxed than I have in months.  Summertime and the living is easy.  I've been working away in my garden, reading books that have been on my to read list for far too long, floating in the pool and getting some sewing and knitting in too.

I'm going to do a catch up post of some of the things I was working on in the months of my blogging hiatus - I sewed my dresses for both weddings and the ties for my husband and little guys (Ok, they're not little anymore - one is already a full fledged teenager and taller than me.  How did that happen?)  and I did a pattern test for Itch to Stitch* in between the weddings that I'm realizing I never shared here, along with a few other sewing projects and I picked up my knitting needles again!!  I'm so incredibly slow at knitting now, but I'm enjoying it, so that's what counts!

So, speaking of pattern testing, I recently finished another one and it's just been released today!  This is the Soller Top and Dress from Itch to Stitch and oh my goodness it was love at first sight!  The Soller features gathers at the front shoulders (achieved so simply with elastic!), a v-neck binding and grown on sleeves that are also finished with binding.  


I made the top version for testing and loved it so much I literally snipped the threads, tried it on and cut out a dress version and was wearing the dress by that afternoon.  So this is also a super speedy, quick fix kind of garment.  I need new tees in my wardrobe because most of mine are getting tattered and worn from so much use, and I'm trying to decide how many Soller tees would be an appropriate number.  


I made my tee out of an unmarked jersey remnant I picked up for a few dollars a couple of years ago at my local Fabricland.  I think it likely has some rayon or bamboo in it because it is super soft and has a drape to it.  I really, really hope I pre-washed my fabric - I usually do before I put it on the shelf, but I had a horrifying moment of thought after I cut it all out that I may not have.  Please oh please don't shrink! It's perfect the way it is!  I'm being super precious about how I care for it, because I don't want to ruin it.


The dress is just as good.  I've reached for it so many times this week already! It's just so comfy and easy to wear.  


This one is made out of The Fabric Snob's "boyfriend" wash jersey and it definitely has been pre-washed so this is a easy throw in the wash without a second thought kind of garment.  Which is a darn good thing given I practically have been living in it right now.  It's been so hot and humid the last little while it's been the perfect thing to throw on and go about my day. 


I want to talk about the yardage for a moment too.  After sewing some garments recently that took a whole lot of yardage (mother of the bride and mother of the groom dresses I'm looking at you...) it was so nice to be able to whip out a top or dress out of a small amount of fabric.  A top in my size 18 takes .8m  and the dress 1.2m!

If you want to get sewing a Soller for yourself, head on over to the Itch to Stitch site.  It's on sale for the release week too!

I'll pop back in soon again to tell you about the Lemont top that I tested and then forgot to tell you about here (although it was over on my Instagram and I did post about it in the ITS facebook group, so you may already have seen both I made.  I'll have to fill you in on the details of my wedding sewing too!






No comments:

Post a Comment