Friday, May 01, 2020

Me Made May 2020

Well here it is, already May 1st, which means its time for Me Made May!  I've been kind of hit and miss with my participation in Me Made May over the years, but I thought this year I'd give it a go!

My challenge for myself is pretty simple :

I challenge myself to wear at least one me made garment each day and to assess what the holes in my me made wardrobe are and to try and fill those holes by sewing some new garments.

My hope is that with my challenge to myself, I'll get back to creating. As I mentioned in my last post, I've found it very hard to focus over the last month and a half on things, and while I know that I always feel much better when I am giving myself the opportunity to flex my creative muscle whether it be through sewing, knitting or another crafty and creative outlet, I have found that I often don't have the energy to actually do so.  Perhaps being more thoughtful about what I need in my wardrobe will give me the gentle nudge to go sit down and do something.

As it stands right now I have about twenty projects swirling around in my head - I should sew tee shirts! But then maybe I need pants more.  Oh but then there's that Zadie jumpsuit that would be a good thing to wear this spring.  But it's chilly still somedays.  Maybe I should sew a hoodie. Then again summer is coming and I need a new bathing suit...

So it goes on.  Nothing gets done.  Heck nothing really gets started.  LOL  But!  If I can use Me Made May as a catalyst for figuring out what I need to start with maybe it'll help.

I did put together the PDF for the Helen's Closet Suki Robe the other night and do plan to start with that.  I'm going to make it as an alternative to a cardigan for spring in an embroidered cotton.  Both cotton and pattern were purchased when the pattern was first released and I've even had it printed out since then!  I was still working in the parts room back then and because my wardrobe consisted of jeans, tees and sweatshirts at the time, it got shoved to the side.  I think its high time to make it a wardrobe reality though.


Anyway, this morning dawned chilly and cloudy and very much threatening to rain, so instead of wearing something nice and springy for this first day of Me Made May I reached for a pair of ready to wear jeans and a me made hoodie.


The hoodie is my Tami Revolution Hoodie from New Horizons Designs that I made early last fall.  It's made from a heavier weight cotton lycra from Prairie Love Knits out of Alberta as I'm pretty sure its safe to say it's my favourite hoodie I've made to date! Yes.  I am wearing my moccasins.  It's a work from home day for me. Don't judge me.  Slippers are totally acceptable footwear. (They're from Manitobah Mukluks if you're curious, which is an Indigenous owned local company that I'm pretty much obsessed with because they have great products and fantastic service! My husband always cringes when I casually start a sentence with, "So... I saw Manitobah Mukluks is having a sale..." LOL)

I plan to document my me mades on my Instagram account this year so if you want to see what I'm up to you can pop on over there to have a look.  And watch this space!  I'll be back, hopefully sooner than later with that new Suki Robe!

Until then keep healthy and well!

No comments:

Post a Comment