Friday, June 19, 2020

An Important Note

So, obviously it's been a bit since I posted last.  Things felt just a bit chaotic throughout the month of May and I was tired at night so instead of writing I often just went to bed and read instead of staying up like I normally would.  Then I made a decision to stay quiet at the beginning of June so that the community of Black makers could be seen and have their voices heard and amplified.

Coming back to blogging doesn't mean I feel that is any less important or that I'm not still listening.  I've learned so much through the community as they've shared their stories and their pain.  I have been encouraged by discussions I've had, comments I've read, and by many companies that I use that have stepped up to the plate to do their part.    

Some days I've also been thoroughly disgusted and dismayed by others.  It makes my heart sick to know that there are many people that somehow feel someone is "less than" or not "worthy of" simply because of the colour of their skin and that societal attitudes are, in many cases, in no better a place than hundreds of years ago.  I am choosing to be hopeful though that this is the time that people open their hearts and minds and it actually changes for good...

Please know that if you are thinking that you are "tired of hearing about racism" or that you'd "like to just get back to crafting" or that you "don't like political stuff" or that "racism only happens in the States" or probably one of the most asinine I've heard this week alone, that "racism is just a made up thing, it doesn't exist" (WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL?!?!?!) then you probably do not want to stick around; you can show yourself to the door now please.  This space has always been and will continue to be one that welcomes and celebrates everyone regardless of the colour of their skin, orientation or religion.  Racism and discrimination will absolutely not be tolerated here.

I will no longer be highlighting, mentioning or supporting companies - large, independent or otherwise nor moving forward spending my money on companies that do not share the belief that there is no place in this world for racism. I will also continue to read, listen and learn how I can help do my part to change the world.

I will resume writing here once again, sharing my makes and recipes and life but it felt very important to put this out there first and foremost before getting back into it so that we are all on the same page.

No comments:

Post a Comment