Monday, September 24, 2012

While There Is Tea There is Hope

There's truth to this!
Or so says the coaster I gave my Grandma several years ago. Grandma was wise. The two bits of comforting advice I remember most were "this too shall pass" and the suggestion to have a cup of tea (because everything is better after a soothing cup of tea).

I woke up this morning with a splitting headache, a need for a cup of tea and a craving for something tasty to eat that unfortunately wasn't to be found in my fridge or pantry. (mostly because I didn't know what I wanted that "something" to be)

After considering all options it hit me that what I really wanted along with that cup of tea was a scone. Not just any old scone, but Grandma's scones. Mmmmmm. So rich and decadent. The perfect thing.

Took me a few minutes to find it, but eventually I set to work following Grandma's recipe that she'd jotted out about 20 years ago for me on a scrap of paper.

Grandma's recipe

Mmmmmmm. 45 minutes and two happy toddlers (who were excited to do some baking)later I had my cup of tea and my tasty something to eat. I still have the headache, but with tea and sustenance it seems a little easier to deal with.
Ahhhh. That's better!

Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them for yourself!

Grandma's Scones

3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup margarine or butter
1 cup milk
1 egg (grandma said separated, but I just toss in a whole egg - I'm all about shortcuts!)
1/2 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 375F.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in margarine with fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. Add milk, egg and raisins and mix well. Grandma used to roll her's out into a large rectangle then cut in triangles but for me, I find that the dough is too sticky to be bothered with that. I just drop mine by generous tablespoonfuls onto a parchment lined sheet. Bake until golden brown. (Start watching them at about 15 minutes - mine took about 17 minutes this morning). Enjoy!

Grandma's recipe, while being good for the soul, is pretty bad for the waistline. I'll have to get Mom's recipe for you one of these days. It was a staple of my childhood (and often when we stop by for a visit still, there are scones to be enjoyed!). Just as tasty, but in a less weight gaining/cholesterol rising way, Mom's are much healthier. My Mom is an amazing cook and baker, but she often doesn't follow recipes, especially for things she's made forever. Which is great except sometimes her instructions have a tendency to go a little bit like this:

"Some flour and oil... a bit of milk until it feels right..." so Mom, if you're reading this start thinking about how much makes it "feel right". I'll be calling soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment