Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas has been postponed

Well, here it is December 26th and I'm still not sure when we'll have Christmas. My kids' grandfather took seriously ill the night before he was to travel to Winnipeg to spend Christmas here. So instead of him coming here, the kids went with their Dad to Calgary early Saturday morning. I'm not sure when they'll be back, but I promised we'd wait to have Christmas together when they come home. Wasn't much in the spirit for festivities without them here anyways!

They've called everyday since going, and it sounds like they're having a good time out West, so I'm glad. Poor G was so worried about going. She was scared about Grandpapa and worried I'd be sad that she wasn't here. She wasn't going to go, but I convinced her in the end that she would regret not going. Their Grandpapa and uncle were so excited to be coming here to see them over the holidays and at least Grandpapa still gets part of his wish. He was having pretty major surgery yesterday (what an awful way to spend Christmas), but hopefully he'll be on the road to recovery soon.

People keep telling me what a "good mom" I am for letting them go. I did not "let" them go. There was no choice to be made. As I told the kids, their Grandpapa needs them, their Dad needs them and they need to all be together right now. I'm not a saint of course and I've had a rather blue time of things myself, but I know that the kids are where they need to be. And on Friday when I didn't know how serious the situation was I felt pretty selfish, wanting the ex to wait until after Christmas to go. As soon as he informed me of the what was really going on, I knew instantly that they had to go though. I must say I've had some guilt over my selfish thoughts too.

So. Christmas is postponed indefinately in our house. I'm not sure when they'll be back, but I'm keeping the tree up as long as I can. (It's a real tree, but it's still looking pretty good - we've been watering it like mad!). After all, just because the calendar says Christmas is on December 25th doesn't mean that it has to be. For me Christmas is about the kids, and so when they're back then it'll be Christmas. In the meantime, I will start knitting a couple of wristbands for the boys!

I hope all of you had a wonderful, healthy and happy festive season, whatever you celebrate in your family and that you will all have a wonderful New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Heck, you're in Winnipeg - celebrate Ukrainian Christmas on Jan 7th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan. We just may do that!! :)

    ReplyDelete